How to Get Paint Off A Mirror
Getting paint off a mirror can be easy if you use the right cleaning products. The problem comes when you leave the paint to dry and it becomes hard and more work is required to get the paint off your mirror.
I have had this happen to me before when I was touching up some areas in my bathroom that had the paint fading away. Some of the paint got on the mirror and the cleaning methods below are what I use to get the paint off. All of them work well, so you just need to choose one that suits you more.
Getting Dried Up Paint Off A Mirror
As the heading explained, this method is to be used when you have paint that has dried up on your mirrors for a while that is hard to come off. You have two methods to choose from below.
Method 1. Using Nail Polish Remover To Get Paint Off Mirror
Nail polish remover is a great product that can be used to do so many things in your house. You can use it to remove hair dye stains on your hands, countertop, and even your walls. So this product will work well when you use it to get paint off your mirrors.
- Nail Polish Remover
- Paper Towel
- Microfiber Cloth
- Razor Blade ( Optional )
Steps To Take:
1. The first thing you need to do is put on a pair of rubber latex gloves and a face mask to protect yourself from any chemicals that you will come in contact with.
2. If your mirror can be taken down and lay flat on the ground or countertop, do so. This will make the cleaning process easier for you and prevent you from breaking the mirror. If not, leave the mirror hanging.
3. Now you need to wet a large part of the microfiber cleaning cloth with the nail polish remover and rub the area with the dried-up paint in a circular motion until the paint becomes soft and starts to come off on the cleaning cloth.
4. Once the majority of the paint has come off, use a thick sheet of paper towel with more nail polish remover on it and clean the area. Clean the mirror off with some clean water and soap when you are done.
Method 2. Using Paint Thinner To Get Paint Off A Mirror
Using paint thinner is similar to using nail polish remover. The only difference is the strength and the smell of the paint thinner. For this method, it is mandatory that you wear a face mask and gloves because the paint thinner has a strong odor to it.
- Paint thinner
- Paper towel
Steps To Take:
1. Remove the mirror from the wall and put it somewhere flat if you can to prevent breaking it or making it fall off the wall.
2. Fold a sheet of paper towel in half and add some of the paint thinners to it and scrub the area that has the paint until it loosens up. You might need a few sheets of paper towels to properly get the area clean.
3. Once all the paint is gone off the mirror. Clean the mirror with some bleach to remove the harsh smell of the paint thinner.
Getting Freshly Spilled Paint Off A Mirror
This method is pretty self-explanatory. You will be cleaning the paint off your mirror when it is wet which is the best and easiest method.
Method 3. Using Dish Soap To Get Paint Off A Mirror
Cleaning paint off any surface is the easiest way to go. But cleaning it off a mirror with just regular water can leave a mess behind that makes your mirror look foggy.
- Dawn Dish Soap
- Paper Towel
- Cleaning Cloth
- Cleaning Container
- Warm Water
Steps To Take:
1. If you can remove the mirror from the wall, do so. This will prevent you from breaking the mirror and preventing the paint from running onto other areas because it is wet.
2. Use a sheet of paper towel and clean as much of the paint off the mirror as you can.
Get a small cleaning container and fill it halfway with warm water and add a few tablespoons of dawn dish soap and mix it around.
3. Dip the cleaning cloth in the water and wipe the mirror off. The warm water will soften the paint that has started to dry up so it can be wiped off by the cloth without leaving any fogginess from the paint.
4. Once you clean the paint off the mirror. Give the entire mirror a proper cleaning with fresh water and soap and you are done.
The best and easiest way to get paint off a mirror is by cleaning it off the mirror within seconds of it spilling. This will prevent you from using a razor blade to scrape the paint off when it dries up or using strong chemicals.