How To Get Smoke Smell Out Of Clothes
Smoke can get on your clothes in any way or form. You can be camping, burning something in the back of your yard, or just cooking marshmallows with your family around the fire. Some from wood will easily make your clothes smell awful in no time and it can be hard to get out of your clothes if you are not sure what you are doing.
This article will show you a step by step guide on how to get the smell of smoke out of your clothes without using too much laundry detergent or ruining the clothes by using weird chemicals.
Items Needed To Remove The Smoke From Your Clothes:
Steps To Take:
1. The first thing you need to do is separate all the clothes that smell like smoke from the ones that smell ok. If some of the clothes that smell like smoke are light colors, then you need to place them in a separate pile. Once you did all that you can move on to the next step.
2. In this step you will choose to use a bathtub if you have one or a large cleaning container that can hold at least five gallons of water. If you choose to use the cleaning container, you will need to place all the clothes that can hold in it that smell of smoke.
3. Add 2 cups of baking soda to the container and fill the container with warm water. Once the container is full, mix the water and the clothes around for a minute or two and let them soak in the water for 3-5 hours to properly get the smell of the smoke out of the fabric.
3. B If you choose to use your bathtub, fill it with warm water until all the clothes you will add to it can be fully submerged. Add 2 cups of baking soda to the water and mix it around then add the clothes to it and let it soak for 3-5 hours.
4. Once the 3-5 hours are up. You will need to take the clothes out of the water and rinse them out with some fresh water in the bathtub or cleaning container. When you are dumping the water from the bathtub, do it slowly so the water doesn’t over pressure the pipes.
(NOTE) – For cotton fabric, the warm water will shrink the close by a small percentage. So look out for that when you are done.
5. Once you are done rinsing out the clothes. You can smell them to see if you smell any smoke in them. If you smell a slight smoke odor, do not worry because the next step will take that out. If the smoke smell is still too strong. Repeat leaving the clothes in the water to soak for a few hours. This time you can add half a cup of white distilled vinegar to help.
6. If the clothes pass the smell check. You can now place them in the washing machine and add some sweet laundry detergent to it with some fabric softener and put the washing machine on a regular washing cycle.
7. When the washing machine is finished. Place the clothes in the dryer and add at least 5 sheets of dryer sheets to the load and dry them on the hottest setting to make the heat finish getting out any smell of smoke. When the load is completed, smell the clothes and they should smell totally clean and smoke free.
Using this method to get the smell of smoke out of your clothes is the easiest and cheapest way to go because most of us have a box of baking soda at home that we can use.
You can always choose to use odor removing soaps, but you will have to order them and wait for it to come before you get the smoke smell out of your clothes. If the smoke stays on your clothes too much the harder it will be to come out.