How To Clean Sticky Floors
Cleaning sticky floors can be a nightmare, one spot on the floor could be sticky and you try to clean it with a mop and end up spreading it all over the entire floor, this had happened to me when I spill a pot of oil on the kitchen floor. Cleaning that oil spill off the floor took hours, the good thing was that the floor was a tile floor and the oil miss the wood floor by inches in the next room, so I know how you feel about having sticky floors.
Floors come in contact with everything we do on the outside and everything we drink and eat on the inside. Your floors will get sticky if you do not know how to clean them properly to remove food, dirt, water, and even glue sometimes from your kids making a project.
One of the most common things to get spilled on floors and make your floors sticky is milk. If you have kids it is even worse, because this happens on a regular basis. When it comes to cleaning a sticky floor, they are some special techniques and methods you have to follow to clean the spill up fast without spreading it and preventing ants from infesting your house if what was spilled was food.
This article will guide you on how to clean a sticky floor on any surface, whether it is tile or hardwood floors plus teach you how to prevent this from happening again.
Things You Will Need To Clean Your Sticky Floors:
- Mop Bucket / Regular Bucket
- Hardwood Floor Cleaner
- Optional Swiffer Wet Jet
- Optional Steam Mop
- Paper Towel
- White Vinegar
- Optional Dawn Dish Soap
How To Clean Sticky Wood Floors
Your house either has wood floors or tile floors, most time you will have both. So I will break down the cleaning process into two sections because cleaning a wood floor is totally different from cleaning a regular tile floor.
Hardwood floors will have a dull look to them after cleaning because water will take the shine off the floors and you will need to give them a polish manually or use a cleaning product I will recommend that will make your hardwood floors or engineered wood floors look like a looking glass.
The Cleaning Process:
- Remove everything off the wood floor and secure the area that is sticky and vacuum or sweep with a broom. If the entire floor is sticky, make sure not to walk on any other surface with the same shoes you have on. This will only create more work for you when you have to clean your tile floors.
- Use a large piece of paper towel and wipe the area that is sticky. You do not want to use a mop to clean that one single area yet. If you are cleaning the entire floor because it is sticky, you can use the mop and dispose of it after that clean. Just like washing a car, you do not want to reuse the same cloth on clean areas even if you wash it.
- Get a mop bucket or regular bucket and add half a cup of pine sol or Murphy’s oil soap to it to help with the stickiness. Then add warm water to the bucket until it is almost full,
- The murphy’s oil soap will break down the stickiness or grease on the wood floor each time you wash it off with the mop. Repeat cleaning it with the Murphys oil soap 3 times and ensure you wash out the mop each time and add fresh warm water and more of the Murphys oil soap.
- By this point, your wood floor will be clean and not sticky again. The floor will look dull because of the warm water you just cleaned it with. You could manually shine the floor with a dry microfibre cloth or use this amazing product called QUICK SHINE.
Cleaning Your Wood Floors With QUICK SHINE
Because you have just cleaned the floor and got rid of the stickiness, you will skip a lot of steps in this process to prep the floor to use quick shine on it to restore the shiny look.
- Quick Shine
- New Mop Or Swiffer Wet Jet
- Pour out some of the quick shine on the hardwood floor in an S pattern to make it spread more evenly when you wipe it with the mop or dry Swiffer wet jet.
- If you are using a mop to clean the floor, you can go from left to right until everything that you pour on the floor is gone and you do not see any white left. If you are using a Swiffer wet jet, go in an up and down motion.
- Repeat wiping the floor from left to right to get everything in the wood. Do not walk on the floor after you have cleaned it with the quick shine. It will be sticky and can trap footprints.
- In 1 hour your wood floor will look like a mirror and sticky-free.
How To Clean Sticky Tile Floors
When it comes to cleaning sticky tile floors, it is much easier to do. Most tiles like porcelain tiles are coasted and have a shine to them already. Getting sticky residue off tiles just requires a few washes with some bleach or pine sol. The most difficult part to clean is getting the stickiness out of the grout in-between the tiles.
The Cleaning Process:
- Fill a bucket with warm water and add 1 cup of bleach to it with a half cup of pine sol to counteract the smell of the bleach.
- If the entire tile floor is sticky, wash it off with the mop and get rid of the mop. You can also use some dawn dish soap to help break down any grease that might be on the floor.
- Repeat washing the tile floor 3 times with fresh warm water and more bleach. You will only need to change the mop on the second wipe. Using a swifter wet jet to clean tile floors is a much easier and faster method because you can take off the dirty pad on the Swiffer wet jet and add a new one.
- Using the Swiffer wet jet will also allow you to clean the floor more than 3 times. You can make a homemade cleaning solution by adding 1 cups vinegar to a bowl, half a cup of bleach, and 2 tablespoons of dawn dish soap.
- Wash and dry your tile floor until the stickiness is gone for good.
Clean Floors With A Steam Cleaner
One of the easiest ways to clean a sticky floor is by using a steam cleaner. These products are really effective when it comes to removing grease and other foreign objects build-up on your floors. You can find reasonable price steam cleaners on amazon in any price range. (Here is a link to some steam cleaners at different price range on amazon)
Why Your Floors Are Sticky After Mopping
A lot of reasons can cause your floors to be sticky after you have spent half an hour moping it. You cannot just take up a mop and mop a sticky floor or any floor like that. You have to check the condition of the floor, mop and how many of the products you use. Here are some of the reasons your floor is sticky after mopping it.
Too Much Bleach:
Too much bleach on your floors will overwhelm you with a toxic smell along with the sticky feeling of bleach when it dries. Try to pour the bleach in the water rather than on the floor, so the water can dilute the bleach.
Too Much Floor Shiner:
Using too much of a product on the floor can leave too much of it on it when you think you have to wipe everything off. Make sure to read the instructions on the bottle of the product before you use it.
Using Dirty Mops:
Your kid might have spilled some milk on the floor earlier in the day and you use the mop to wipe it. If you forgot to clean that mop, you will use it at the end of the day to clean your floors and make all of it sticky. Make sure to check and use a clean mop each time you wipe your floors.
Wrong Cleaning Product:
Using the wrong cleaning product on your floor can lead to it being even more sticky when you finish mopping it. For example, you will never want to use a hardwood floor cleaner on your tile floors to make them look shiny. Hardwood floor cleaners were made for the wood to absorb the oil in them. So using it on tiles will only leave the oil on the surface that will dry and get sticky.
How To Prevent Your Floors From Getting Sticky
- These are some of the tips and tricks that I have come up with to help prevent you from having sticky floors.
- Wipe mess up as soon as not happen or you see them with a piece of paper towel.
- Do not wear outside shoes on the inside of the house.
- Have an eating area for kids, so if they spill something you can clean it up fast.
- Wipe your floors on a regular basis to prevent any build-up of residue over time.
This is a list of some of the items I use in my house to clean, which are affordable as well. They all make cleaning much easier for me and even faster. I recommend you use these. List of affiliate links below.
To Use Less Liquid Soap
Clean Your Floors Faster
Clean The Walls In Your House Easier
For Cleaning Windows Or Stains Off Wall
To Clean Your Sofa, Car Seat, Bed ETC
To Use With Product Below
To Clean And Polish Furniture, Grout Joint, Toilet, Car
Also a page of Everything Household Products that will come in handy when cleaning