How to clean window tracks and sills in the easiest way possible
Cleaning window tracks should be on your weekly cleaning schedule or weekly cleaning routine. We cannot avoid getting dust, dirt, debris, and grease into them unless we decide to never open our windows at all to let in air.
The window screen itself only fillers out insects and large enough debris from coming in. The dust and dirt from outside will blow right in and settle in the window tracks, both the window track on the bottom and sides. If your windows can be removed, it would be much easier on you as well when it comes to cleaning them.
Why you need to clean window tracks
Have you ever cleaned your bathroom so well, but it still has a little smell to it no matter what you do. Well if you forgot to clean those window tracks, the dirt and debris trapped there will cause an odor to develop.
Moisture over time mixed with dirt and debris will form mold, which is not good for your health at all. When you are dealing with mold, you need to wear a mask and gloves so that it doesn’t get on your skin and into your body. If you want to know how to clean mold off your walls easiest in the easiest way, here is the best way to do it. ( Click Here )
It doesn’t really matter if your windows are wood or vinyl. The dirt and debris will eventually stain the windows. Now you will either have to replace the windows entirely or clean them and paint them over.
Eventually, the green look that appears on the window tracks will spread onto the window sills as well. Having a dirty window sill is can make your house look even more disgusting from the outside.
How to clean window tracks
If you have double sliding windows that go from left to right or up and down. You will need to presoak each side before you start to make removing the dirt much easier.
Making a window track cleaning tool
This is a homemade tool that you can make in seconds and you don’t need to buy anything at all. It will make cleaning the tracks much faster and easier.
Supplies needed :
- Dishwashing sponge
- Knife or blade
That is all you will need. It is that simple.
How to make the window track cleaning tool
- Place the sponge on the window track. Then use the marker to mark the outline of the window track.
- Take the sponge and use the blade to cut the outline that you marked straight down on the bottom.
3. Now the sponge will fit directly into the window track groves without you bending your fingers too much.
Here are the steps to start cleaning :
- Dawn Dish Soap
- Small Bucket
- Scrub Brush
- Microfiber Cloth
- Spray Bottle
1. Slide the first window to the left or right or up and down. Whichever way your windows slide to or open to.
2. Put on your gloves and mix 3 Squirts of dawn dish soap in the bucket of water that is half full.
3. Put on your mask now. Spray down each section of the window track with the bleach.
4. Use the cleaning tool that you just made and run it along the window track after you dipped it into the cleaning solution you just made with the dawn. The sponge will remove as much of the dirt and debris it can reach.
5. Dirt will be in the 4 corners that the sponge cannot reach, so use the toothbrush to get into those creases.
6. Use the spray bottle fill with water only and spray the window track down as much as possible because you cannot use a hose to wash it off while in the house.
7. Use the microfiber cloth or paper towel and wipe it down until all dirt, water, and debris are gone.
Tips To Keep Your Window Tracks Clean Longer
1. Only open your windows halfway to prevent more dust and debris from getting trapped in them.
2. Install a window screen with a better mesh that stops as much dust as possible.
3. Close your windows if the day is very dusty and rainy.
4. Cover your window tracks with homeline spray to make cleaning it easier.
How to clean window sills
Because you have just cleaned your window tracks. Some dirt and debris will be on your window sills. Plus your window sills might be as dirty as your window tracks. Cleaning your window sills isn’t that hard.
You will need to use bleach only this time because it is powerful enough to remove anything that might be sticking to the window sills outside. The window sills are in the elements every single day. Rainy days, stormy days, sunny days, and dusty days, they might need a little elbow grease to get some of the dirt off.
This is the best way to clean window sills. Spray down the window sills with the bleach and let it sit for 10 minutes to soften anything on them. This will make the cleaning process much easier and faster at the same time. Make sure to wear gloves and a mask each time you use bleach.
Use a hard enough sponge-like scotch brite to scrub the window sill off. Do not put too much pressure on the scotch brite, because it will remove the paint and finish off the window sills. Now you can just wash the window sill off with a hose from the outside. If the window is high, spray it down with some water in a spray bottle.
Homemade Cleaning Solution To Use
Use this homemade cleaning solution to clean anything in your house if you do not want to use harsh chemicals or use regular liquid dish soap like dawn.
- In a spray bottle mix, 2 cups of water, 1 cup of vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of Dawn.
- Shake to mix.
- Spray down whatever you are cleaning.
- Wipe it down.