You know the feeling. Right? You come home after a long day at work, ready for some downtime and relaxation -and you walk into your home, welcomed by a smell like someone had too many beans.
How to make your house smell better? It’s not an easy question to answer, but luckily, we have compiled a list of things that will help. First up, though, let’s check out some of the best scents to make your house smell good!
Scents to Make Your House Smell Good
There are many scents that will make your house smell good. Not only do different smells come with different benefits, but they can also be a lot of fun!
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is known to have antibacterial properties and is one of the best ways to make your house smell good (especially around Christmas time!)
- Lemon – Lemon is a refreshing scent that has been proven to have antidepressant properties. It can make you feel happier, and leave your home smelling amazing!
- Vanilla – Vanilla is sure to put anyone into a good mood with its warm scent. It’s perfect for homes where there are kids.
- Lavender – Lavender is a wonderful scent for relaxing and soothing the mind.
- Coconut – Bring the beach to you with the beautiful smell of coconut. This scent is entirely tropical and will make you feel like vacationing even if you’re at home.
- Eucalyptus – Eucalyptus has been shown to have many health benefits, including soothing coughs, headaches, migraines, sinuses, allergies, and more! For an extra punch of freshness, add a pot of eucalyptus to your living room or kitchen.
- Orange – The citrus scent of an orange will make you feel awake and energized, just like its zesty taste!
- Honey – Honey is a sweet, calming scent that has been shown to help with asthma, allergies, and nasal congestion. It’s also great for headaches. Honey is a go-to for anyone with four little ones running around the house!
Tips to Make Your House Smell Good
Add Essential Oils to Your Air Filter
Essential oils are some of the best ways to make your house smell good. You can put them into an oil diffuser, and enjoy the fragrance throughout your home. Or, you could have a more immediate impact by using essential oils in conjunction with air filters that contain charcoal or activated carbon for maximum absorption of odors.
In addition, you can also add some incredible scents in essential oil form to the air filter for it to absorb odors from cooking, pets, or just general household smells.
Add Dryer Sheets to Your Trash Can
Another easy way to make your house smell good is by adding dryer sheets into the bottom of your trash can. The fabric will help absorb any odor that escapes from smelly garbage. You may even find it essential to change the sheet every few days for maximum effectiveness!
Stick Votive Candles in Coffee Beans
Candles are a great way to make your house smell good, especially if you combine them with coffee beans. How does this work? Well, stick votive candles in the bottom of an open jar or pot filled with whole coffee beans, and light it up! The candle will create a pleasant aroma while releasing heat from its flame that can help to release coffee’s aroma.
Hiding Odors with Plants
Another way you can make your house smell good is by adding various plants throughout the home, like in vases or on shelves. This will create a natural fragrance that will not only produce a wonderful scent to make your house smell good, but will also help clean any air pollution.
Put Vanilla in Your Oven
If you want your house to smell like dessert, then put some vanilla extract into the oven before you turn it on. The aroma will fill up the kitchen and make it feel cozy in no time!
Sprinkle Baking Soda on Carpets
Baking soda is one of the best ways to make your house smell good. How, you ask? Well, you can sprinkle it on carpets and upholstery before vacuuming with a carpet cleaner. Or, by just brushing in some baking powder into areas that need more attention. It will help remove any lingering odors without leaving behind an unpleasant scent.
Freshen Up Your Air Vents
Another tip to make your house smell good – use some beautiful smelling air fresheners! All you have to do is simply put air fresheners or potpourri into the vents of your home. This will not only help get rid of any lingering odors, but it will also make your house smell good!
Freshen Up Your Sink with Vinegar
Another way to make your house smell good is by placing a few drops of vinegar in the sink and letting it soak. The acetic acid present will help break down any food particles that may be stuck on the insides of your kitchen, and cut through lingering fragrances.
Clean Your Garbage Disposal
You know what they say, “garbage goes in, and garbage smells come out.” So, how to make your house smell better? Well, cleaning your sink disposal is a great place to start. Just pour a cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by some cold water. Let it sit for about an hour, then use boiling hot or ice-cold water to rinse.