How to Clean 5 Gallon Water Jug
A water cooler is a cool way to have cool water in your house if you do not have one of those refrigerators that dispense water. Knowing how to clean a 5 gallon water jug that fits on the cooler is very important because the water will leave slime and other things in the water over time if it is not cleaned.
Cleaning the 5 gallon water jug might seem hard but with the right tools and cleaning products. Your water jug will come out smelling and look brand new again. The water will actually taste even better because the jug is clean. So let us begin cleaning that 5 gallon water jug.
The Cleaning Process To Clean 5 Gallon Water Jug
Below will be a step by step guide that will clean your water jug even if it is not for your water cooler. This method will not include bleach because bleach should not be used on anything that you will consume in your body.
Steps To Take:
1. The first step you need to take is to remove everything that is in the 5 gallon water container so that you can get to clean it properly without any difficulties. You can also gather all the cleaning supplies you need to clean the jug.
2. Now that the container is empty, you can start to add some of the cleaning agents needed to properly clean the jug. Add half a cup of baking soda to the jug, then add two cups of white distilled vinegar to the jug. Add a few drops of dawn dish soap to the jug and shake it around.
3. Now that you have done that, you need to add 5 cups of warm water to the jug and add the scotch brite to it and give it another shake for 1 minute. Let the jug sit for 30 minutes before you move on to the next step.
4. Once the 30 minutes are up. The mixture should be all over the sides of the jug and would break down most of the slim and limescale that was left by the water. Shaking the jug again for 2 minutes with the scotch brite inside it should loosen all that’s remaining on the sides.
5. Rinsing the jug will take a few washes because of the dish soap, but rinsing it out with warm water will eventually get the soap out of the jug.
6. If this container is for your water cooler. You can now give your water cooler a proper cleaning so that everything will be clean to be used again.
Now that your water container is clean. You need to keep it that way by washing the 5 gallon water jug every two weeks to keep the water tasting as fresh as it can be. The water in the cooler should not stay in it too long because it will get stale over time and taste less refreshing. Follow this method, and the water container will forever stay clean and optimum.